[Fontconfig] Re: Structure of cache files

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 23 13:05:47 EST 2005

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> So this means that the file format is not endianness- and
> platform-independent, but contains enough information to load it on
> other platforms ?  Does the current loader support loading cache files
> from other platforms ?
>
> I guess I should just test that...

It can't possibly be platform-independent if it's to be mmapped...
otherwise you end up making another copy of the data before you can use
it, which eliminates the whole space savings benefit.

I've tested it on multiple platforms before, but please test it again.
It was designed to work on multiple platforms, by keeping one copy per
platform (all the copies are stored in the same file, but in different
sections).

pat