[Fontconfig] Re: Mathias Hasselmann's libxml2 patch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Sep 25 03:34:07 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 14:42 +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 24.09.2005, 07:48 -0400 schrieb Patrick Lam:
> > I don't have a lot of configure-fu, but it would be at least good if
> > configure could deal with the possibility of only one of expat and
> > libxml2 being installed and do the right thing.  Is that possible?
>
> Could do that quite quickly. Only question to resolve: Which one to
> choose, if both exist and no option was specified? Based on Keith's
> statements I guess, expat should stay as default?

I think for now we should leave expat as the default, and allow the
configure script to override this option. At some point, it might make
sense to switch the default.

A bit of history -- fontconfig started with libxml2 (not in SAX mode)
and I switched it when people complained about the size of that library.

-keith