[Fontconfig] Re: Structure of cache files

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 03:21:50 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 23:05 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > So this means that the file format is not endianness- and
> > platform-independent, but contains enough information to load it on
> > other platforms ?  Does the current loader support loading cache files
> > from other platforms ?
> >
> > I guess I should just test that...
>
> It can't possibly be platform-independent if it's to be mmapped...
> otherwise you end up making another copy of the data before you can use
> it, which eliminates the whole space savings benefit.
>
> I've tested it on multiple platforms before, but please test it again.
> It was designed to work on multiple platforms, by keeping one copy per
> platform (all the copies are stored in the same file, but in different
> sections).
>
> pat

Ok, I have finally gotten around to compile the mmap branch on x86_64,
and tried to see how caches work across platforms. I copied
/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/fonts.cache-2 from i386 over, and ran
fc-cache -f /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/fonts.cache-2

It did in fact update the fonts.cache-2 file, but the result did only
have one section for x86_64, the i386 section was gone. Am I missing
something ? How am I supposed to create a multi-platform fonts.cache-2
file ?

Regards, Matthias