[Fontconfig] fc-match and fc-match --sort disagree

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 3 22:37:45 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 00:39 -0400, Patrick Lam wrote:

> It seems that <prefer> creates an FcValueBindingWeak (fcxml.c:1417),
> which causes the family-name to not get matched by FcFontMatch.  If line
> 1417 created an FcValueBindingStrong instead, fc-match Symbol gives the
> apparently right thing.  Keith, any insights?  Is it a bug in
> FcFontMatch (this is in both 2.3.2 and 2.3.94) or in FcFontSort?

all aliases should create weak bindings. Oh. The problem here is that a
weak binding is 'less important' than the language, but for Symbol, we
don't care about language. I suggest using the more general match/edit
rules and setting a strong binding for the family name. That will avoid
having the language override the selection.

keith.packard at intel.com