[Fontconfig] The cache fontconfig directory

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Apr 5 21:16:20 PDT 2006

> > When fontconfig-using applications run and don't find cache information
> > in {localstatedir}/fontconfig or the font directories, they create a
> > per-user cache file which lives in that user's home directory.
>
> Okay.  Still not the most optimal behavior, but acceptable I guess.

I'm just curious what would you call optimal.  You don't want to
run fc-cache, you don't want to have writable shares, and you
don't think per-user caches are optimal.  Having no chaches at
all is definitely not optimal either.

> Well, the other part of the problem here that I see, is that it hard codes
> the word "cache", too (at least in the release I'm using):
>
> configure.in:pkgcachedir='${localstatedir}/cache/'${PACKAGE}
>
> which I think is a very bad practice. ;)

You can actually override this on your make commandline, like:

make pkgcachedir=/my/cache/dir all install

> --Quanah

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"