[Fontconfig] Font cache filenames

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Apr 26 22:18:43 PDT 2006

I had a couple of thoughts over the weekend about what fontconfig places
in cache files for filenames, and how cache files are managed.

     1. Moving cache files to /var/cache means that caches are not path
        relative, which is to say they have a specific relation to an
        absolute path.
     2. In-tree cache files are "bad" for packaging and many other
        things.
     3. Filename handling in fontconfig is a kludgy mess

Mixing these two statements together, I'm wondering if it makes sense to

     A. Allow cache files *only* in /var/cache or ~/.fonts.cache-2
     B. Put absolute path names in the cache files

Does this make sense? Or am I just crazy?
keith.packard at intel.com