[Fontconfig] Directions for this week

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Aug 27 15:06:34 PDT 2006

I'm planning on doing some fontconfig cleanup work this week and wanted
to get feedback on the changes I'm going to do.

The first planned change is to only place font cache files
in /var/cache/fontconfig and (a directory) ~/.fontconfig. The separate
per-user global cache file will go away. Along with it a huge pile of
code.

The second change I'd like to make is to make each cache file hold
information for a single architecture; append the architecture ID to the
end of the cache file name so we've got:

<md5-sum>-<architecture>.<version>

This should eliminate more miles of code, and make mmaping the files
more sensible. I think both of these changes will be reasonably easy to
do; they don't fundementally change how things work.

I also want to fix FcMatch so that it reliably generates the first font
that would be returned by FcList; that's just a bug at this point.

The goal is to get to 2.4 at some point, without a huge number of
additional major changes.

keith.packard at intel.com