[Fontconfig] Re: Bug with fc-match

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 10 20:48:46 PST 2006

Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Then it is probably a bug in the KDE konsole that it tries to find
> fallback fonts for languages not supported by the font selected in the
> setup by using some equivalent of "fc-match :lang=fa:spacing=100"
> instead of "fc-match monospace:lang=fa:spacing=100".
>
> Dirk, do you think so as well?

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'm going to say that it is anyway.
fonts.conf contains:

<!--
  If the font still has no generic name, add sans-serif
 -->
        <match target="pattern">
                <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq">
                        <string>sans-serif</string>
                </test>
                <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq">
                        <string>serif</string>
                </test>
                <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq">
                        <string>monospace</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="family" mode="append_last">
                        <string>sans-serif</string>
                </edit>
        </match>

So :lang=fa:spacing=100 ought to mean a sans-serif font, all else being
equal.  If there's some other reason to also prefer monospace, then it
would take that, but sans-serif is the default.

pat