[Fontconfig] Status about fontconfig CVS regarding cache handling

Patrick Lam plam at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 15 23:17:09 PST 2006

Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le jeudi 09 février 2006 à 13:39 -0500, Patrick Lam a écrit :
>
>>Frederic Crozat wrote:
>>
>>>But old fonts.cache-2 file in the file system (not
>>>in /var/cache/fontconfig) is not removed when running fc-cache and
>>>running fc-cache several times still update cache
>>>in /var/cache/fontconfig.
>
> Hmm, I thought the problem would be fixed by patch from Takashi
> preferring /var/cache/fontconfig files instead of the one in directory
> but it still isn't.

The code removes the fonts.cache-2 file in the directory and then the
hashed cache file, and I've confirmed this behaviour.  I've committed an
additional patch which makes it not bail if it sees a fonts.cache-2 and
fails to remove it; this is sort of inconvenient, but fontconfig can
live with it.

Here's a bug that probably already exists in 2.3.2 but is only important
now: if you mount /usr as read-only, then fc-cache skips generating
caches in /var since it thinks it doesn't have access to /usr and won't
be able to generate caches.

> Running fc-cache several times still generate recreate cache
> in /var/cache/fontconfig.
>
> I guess there is still some side effect somewhere..

I can't trigger this part of the bug.  For me it erases the
fonts.cache-2 file, or triggers the bug I mentioned above.

pat