[Fontconfig] Re: fixed width fonts appear bold

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Tue Mar 28 07:07:09 PST 2006

Hi, since nobody could help me in this I've tried to look into it myself
:)

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 05:57:37PM +0100, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> Also, I have cyrillic bitmap fonts in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
> directory. For whatever reason the fonts.cache-1 file in it is empty,
> fc-cache -v says
>
> fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic": caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs
>
> Why doesn't it find any fonts in it, when regular xlsfont lists all
> fonts from that directory?

This appears to be because of this chunk of code in fcfreetype.c:1556

    /*
     * Skip over PCF fonts that have no encoded characters; they're
     * usually just Unicode fonts transcoded to some legacy encoding
     */
    if (FcCharSetCount (cs) == 0)
    {
	if (!strcmp(FT_MODULE_CLASS(&face->driver->root)->module_name, "pcf"))
	    goto bail2;
    }

So I guess this applies to cyrillic koi8-r fonts :) Or it could be that
I have some "incorrect" version of freetype library.

> For a long time now I strugle with support for bitmap fonts in GTK
> applications. Finally I've installed newer fontconfig library (version
> 2.32) and added link to /etc/fonts/conf.d/yes-bitmaps.conf. So now in
> font selection dialog I see family Fixed. There are various styles for
> it. But when I try to select style SemiCondensed I get bold font. In
> fact there's style "Bold SemiCondensed", but they both appear to be the
> same. What could be the problem here?

I guess here, knowing of the correspondence between font name (Fixed 12)
and the actual file from which this font comes would be of great help.
Is there some debugging options that I could set to get this
information? Or can I obtain it using fc-list for example?

Thank you