[Fontconfig] Font cache simplification

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Wed May 17 17:30:15 PDT 2006

Keith Packard wrote:
> I was just thinking this morning that we now have an overly complicated
> cache system with multiple directories to hold system-wide caches and a
> separate per-user cache mechanism. When cache files could only be stored
> in directories, the per-user ~/.fonts.cache-1 files made sense, but now
> that we store caches separately, why don't we simply create per-user
> cache directories for the run-time detected cache information? This
> would have several benefits:
>
>       * eliminate piles of code for managing global caches
>       * Eliminate need to run fc-cache as a regular user
>       * Simplify configuration (no list of cache directories)
>
> I suggest that ~/.fonts.cache can become a directory for per-user font
> caches, and that the contents be per-directory cache files.
>
> Seem sensible?

I know I'm part of a dying breed here, but what about users who share the
same home directory via NFS on multiple machines?  (This was very common
once upon a time in environments like universities, and we still do it where
I work.)    Would something as simple as ~/.fonts.cache/<hostname>/... make
sense?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com