[Fontconfig] Installing configuration examples

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 7 03:49:48 PDT 2006

Le Mer 6 septembre 2006 06:47, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 09:02 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>> Right now, we install a pile of configuration examples
>> to /etc/fonts/conf.d. I don't think that's a good plan.
>>
>> There are two obvious alternatives -- the first is to just stick them
>> in /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/examples and let people pull the ones they
>> want into /etc/fonts/conf.d. That would allow us to ship a lot more
>> examples and catagorize them as appropriate. It would, however, make it
>> harder for us to maintain those configuration files and update them in
>> future releases.
>>
>> The second alternative is to stick them in /etc/fonts/conf.available and
>> then let people symlink the desired ones into conf.d.
>>
>> Both of these approaches would let us prescribe suitable numeric
>> prefixes for the filenames, something the current system lacks. And,
>> both would let us catagorize the examples by function.
>>
>> Perhaps a mix of the two approaches where the 'officially supported'
>> snippets live in /etc/fonts and the 'examples' snippets live
>> in /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/exmaples?

Just stuff everything in /usr/share/doc/fontconfig-foo/, using subdirs to
distinguidh between categories

> ++.  In particular, the current practice of only including files
> starting with a digit should be removed.

Agreed, it is very confusing to users.
Current Red Hat/Fedora practice seems to do the test on the .conf
extension, as rpm will rename old/new files as oldname.rpm{new,save}

> Also, lets clean up the configs as much as possible.  Breaking down
> fonts.conf into separate files is good.  We also patch the default
> config to add lots of aliases.  Attaching.  Ideally we want to break
> this down to something per-language or -script, like for example the
> fonts-persian.conf file is currently doing.  Separating all Indic stuff
> for example.
>
> We also have a 40-blacklist-fonts for blacklisting some fonts that
> FreeType cannot handle correctly, and 50-no-hint-fonts for disabling
> hinting and embedded bitmaps on our Indic and a couple other fonts.
>
> Another config file I have in Fedora is for making DejaVu Sans LGC an
> alias for DejaVu Sans, and turning off hinting for DejaVu in small sizes
> (like we do for Vera).  These can go upstream too I guess.  Attaching
> that too.

And here are the current conf files for the Fedora Extras DejaVu full
package (main families and experiental ones)

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/dejavu-fonts/dejavu-fonts-fontconfig.conf?root=extras
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/dejavu-fonts/dejavu-fonts-experimental-fontconfig.conf?root=extras

Regards,

--