[Fontconfig] Interrogating arbitrary font files

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 09:57:14 PST 2007

> Executing "ftinfo -a" on a file will give you that information,
Isn't ftinfo pretty heavy on the Perl? It also only covers TTF files (I
tested) and I'm trying to support Type1 too.

> I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, unless you use fontconfig to
> determine what the file is first.
Well, my app Fonty Python, is all about herding arbitrary font files and
then "installing" them by making links in ~/.fonts (and removing them by
removing the links.)

 The idea has always been to introduce some element of font management to the
scene - as well as the ability to view fonts that are not installed (i.e.
under the control of fontconfig), just laying about in folders. So, I have
the paths as part of the whole herding thing ;)

\d