[Fontconfig] How to display bold fonts less bold?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Jan 9 11:58:35 PST 2007

On 2007/01/09 15:44 (GMT-0200) Charles A. Landemaine apparently typed:

> I'd like to display bold fonts less bold because they look too dirty
> and hard to read.
> Can I do it, if not, can we make normal fonts a
> little bit bolder and use them instead of bold fonts? How can I do it?

Most fonts used on puters come in only 2 weights, normal and bold.
Nicolas Mailhot's reply touched on the reason why. The best workaround
if you aren't using a flat panel display at its normal resolution is to
raise the resolution to the maximum your hardware supports. Higher
resolutions provide more px per character to work with, and thus look
better and have a more uniform weight at any given physical size.
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-comps-commonweight.html and/or
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-weights.html might help you
visualize.
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
						John 10:10 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409