[Fontconfig] fc-list output changes from 2.2.3 to 2.4.2

Nguyen Vu Hung vuhung16plus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 23:51:43 PDT 2007

Hello,

2007/10/15, suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp>:
> Hi,
>
> Yet I've not tried to reproduce the problem, but the problem
> looks interesting.

Please be patient because this is the first time I am working with fontconfig.
So my questions my seem noobish.
> I guess, your Motoya font provides 3 string data for
> each name properties: one is Unicode, one is ASCII,
> and one may be Shift-JIS. Old fontconfig may find
> ASCII one and discard others, but new fontconfig
> may store all of them. Possibly the difference from
> "W3" (older) to "Regular,W3" (newer) may be similar.
Thank you for your explaination.
That change costed me some hours for fixing cairo code.
Due to the change of fc-match, some cairo APIs also had ( forced ) to
adapt with the changes.

> > And FYI, fc-match seems to give the wrong font match:
> >
> > $fc-match MotoyaExMaru:W5
> > MTXmr3kp.ttc: "MotoyaExMaru" "W3"
> >
> > #W5 vs W3.
> >
> > Does anyone know why?
>
> Excuse me, your problem is: "both of MotoyaExMaru W3
> and W5 are available, but fc-match returns W3 against
> the request for W5"?
Sorry for the ambiguity. You should understand "vs" like how it is
used in Japan.
I did meant "instead of".

> Or, "MotoyaExMaru W5 is not installed and fc-match is
> expected to return nothing, but returns MotoyaExMaru W3"?

I don't think the I know what is the right result ( I mean spec ) when
I want to find "MotoyaExMaru W5" but "MotoyaExMaru W3" is returned. I
don't know if it is due to fc-match code or my fontconfig setting is
wrong.

Please let me know if I should provide my fontconfig's configuration.

> Yet I've not investigated the typeface matching
> algorithm, I want to know what's your problem.

As said above, I am not sure if this is a bug or fontconfig mis-configuration.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu