[Fontconfig] fc-cache is not always caching newly installed fonts.

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Oct 26 06:27:41 PDT 2007

Op woensdag 24-10-2007 om 17:22 uur [tijdzone +0800], schreef Huang
Peng:
> I can use 'fc-cahce -f' to re-create all caches. It's easy for me and
> most of Linux hackers.:) But it's difficult for ordinary desktop
> users.  And I can not add 'fc-cache -f' in POST-INSTALL script of a
> font package, because it is too slow. Especially, when users install
> many font packages at the same time (like installing a OS, many font
> packages will be installed). It will invoke 'fc-cache -f' many times.
> It waste much time. That is the problem. Hope can find an acceptable
> solution.

I think Debian & Ubuntu do (something like) this at the moment, and it's
really slow indeed.  But recently apt/dpkg has grown a "hooks" system
that allows for running such commands only once after installing all
selected packages.  That should make the wait-times acceptable.

--
Jan Claeys