[Fontconfig] Improving Latin font selection for CJK locales

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 05:47:41 PST 2008

I remember that once upon a time the whole issue of making it possible
for FontConfig to blacklist glyphs from
fonts was discussed.

The idea was that it is easy and fast to write a few lines of XML into
a FontConfig .conf file while it is slow and
laborious to remove glyphs from a font.

Perhaps now is the time to actually implement this functionality in FontConfig?

One group of beneficiaries would be those who want to blacklist LGC
glyphs in existing CJK fonts.

A second group of beneficiaries would be those who wanted to use
certain LGC fonts that are very nice except
for a few characters which they don't like, such as a badly-formed
EURO sign or something like that.  So they
wanted to be able to blacklist just individual bad glyphs in otherwise
"nice" (but probably somewhat older, less-maintained)
fonts.