[Fontconfig] Nimbus Sans L Condensed [Summary]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Mar 7 02:10:30 PST 2008

Le jeudi 06 mars 2008 à 19:45 -0500, Bob Tennent a écrit :
> >| Create a fontconfig alias that would create a virtual
>  >| font-family "Nimbus Sans L Condensed".
>
> The following works for me:

It works for you, when "working" is defined as making a specific font
face available to web designers today ignoring all other considerations.

It does not "work" for me where working is defined as a solution :
– which is not tied to a particular font
  (esp. one which is not actively maintained anymore, and pre-dates
advances in screen legibility)
— which is not tied to a particular encoding set
  (direct result of tying to a semi-maintained font with limited
coverage)
— which is not a fugly workaround we'll have to keep ad vitam eternam
  (ie what is the migration plan mid-term when all the short-termists
will have hardcoded the name of this font face everywhere)
— which is not a fugly workaround others are now going to ask for other
fonts
  (because if we say yes there where will we stop?)
– which will not actively obstruct the resolution of the root bug
  (and we've seen how quick the mozilla developpers are to dismiss any
need to work on it as long as there is a single condensed face available
through family name hacks)

In other words this snippet will offload problems from mozilla and you
to the distributions foolish enough to accept it. And since Fedora wants
problems fixed upstream instead of accepting the burden of piles of
short-term workarounds that make their authors think the problems are
solved and they can let the distro deal with straightening things out, I
don't think we want to accept it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot