[Fontconfig] Cache and FAT

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Wed Dec 9 11:16:36 PST 2009

Twas brillig at 13:59:49 09.12.2009 UTC-05 when behdad at behdad.org did gyre and gimble:

 >> No, it's not. It's the user-accessible part of device, like $HOME on
 >> PC. Thanks to one OS the only sane choice FS for SD cards is FAT.

 BE> Still not convinced.

Well, let me provide the specific use-case then.

Dedicated e-book reader. Users want to use the fonts they posess (and
they do!) to read books. There is SD card slot, USB connection and no
network access (pretty typical setup for e-ink-based e-book readers).

What are the options for installing fonts on such device?

- SD card
- USB mass storage

Anything else? No, nothing beyond it is supported by Windowoze
out-of-the-box. Sane filesystem on SD/USB mass storage? No, VFAT only [*]

Is it possible to "install" fonts from SD somehow? Well, maybe. But then
there should be dedicated space on device. Ugly and inefficient, as
fonts may be quite huge, so there should be a lot of space reserved, so
better avoid it.

Just dropping a couple of .ttf to ".fonts" directory on SD card is easy
to use and easy to explain.

[*] Even Nokia in N900 went this way with their internal storage. As I
was told by one of engineers they researched the various options and
none was satisfactory.

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/