[Fontconfig] Arial Black font issue

Karl Tomlinson karlt+freedesktop at karlt.net
Wed Feb 4 14:27:42 PST 2009

Nicolae Ghimbovschi wrote:

> In mandriva 2005 I have fontconfig 2.3.2
>
> $ fc-list : family file | grep Arial
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf/ariblk.ttf: Arial Black
>
> In fedora 10 I have fontconfig 2.6.0
>
> $ fc-list : family file | grep Arial
> /usr/share/fonts/drakfont/ttf/ariblk.ttf: Arial,Arial Black
>
> In fedora in open office arial black font is substituted with arial
> while in mandriva it is substituted with arial black.
>
> My question is, why version 2.3.2 sees ariblk.ttf as Arial Black and
> 2.6.0 as Arial, Arial Black.

In addition to what Nicolas Mailhot said, older versions of
ariblk.ttf (including the version at
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ I think) do not have the
preferred family name "Arial".  (I don't know where the fedora10
version of ariblk.ttf comes from.)

"ftdump -n /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf/ariblk.ttf" will
list the names in the OpenType name table.

There are also some quirks with the order of the family names
when there are more than one:

% LC_ALL=en fc-list : family file | grep Arial\ Black
/usr/local/share/fonts/ariblk.ttf: Arial Black,Arial
% LC_ALL=en_US fc-list : family file | grep Arial\ Black
/usr/local/share/fonts/ariblk.ttf: Arial,Arial Black