[Fontconfig] Marking glyphs as deliberately blank, per font

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 26 14:07:36 PST 2009

Le jeudi 26 novembre 2009 à 22:06 +0100, Krzysztof Kotlenga a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > Le jeudi 26 novembre 2009 à 13:14 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> >> Nicolas, all that talk makes sense, but unless a concrete proposal
> >> for how to change fontconfig comes in, I don't know what to do
> >> about it.
> >
> > To sum up, and from a pure fontconfig user POW (I don't want to know
> > how the code looks like), I think you could solve many user pains by
> > making it possible to use
>
> It doesn't solve any of my pains :)

It solves the "part of the font file has bogus blank glyphs"

> >  <family>some family name</family>
> >  <format>some font format name</format>
> >  <unicode>
> >    <min>some-unicode-value</min>
> >    <max>some-greater-unicode-value</max>
> >  <unicode>
> >  <lang>some fontconfig orth id</lang>
>
> It looks like a reinvention of what is already there.
>
> <match target="font">
>   <test name="whatever">...</test>
>   <edit name="whatever">...</edit>
> </match>

What is already there is so verbose very few people use it, and when
they do use it they usually mix up things and it does not work the way
they expect it to work due to all the layers of verbosity that get in
the way of human parsing

I've never seen problems with simple succinct statements like :
        <alias>
                <family>serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
                        <family>DejaVu Serif</family>
                        <family>Times New Roman</family>
                        <family>Thorndale AMT</family>
                        <family>Luxi Serif</family>
                        <family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
                        <family>Times</family>
                </prefer>
        </alias>

OTOH the match target/test is a reinvention of emacs' let's use lisp
syntax as configuration syntax hell

> > And it would also be useful to define a <not/> operator, for example
> > <not>
> >  <lang>ja_Ja</lang>
> > </not>
>
> <test compare="not_eq">