[Fontconfig] <alias> replace dejavu sans with Verdana

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 01:26:07 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:29:47PM EDT, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/09/22 18:44 (GMT-0400) Chris Jones composed:
>
> > I'm getting an ugly font in mozilla browsers

> If I knew which distro you are using I might have a solution for you.
> Not all use the same file(s) for fontconfig aliasing. If you grep
> through /etc/fonts/*.conf you'll probably find at least one list of
> sans-serif fonts with DejaVu Sans at the top, or at least, above
> Verdana. If you do, reorder the list(s) and see what happens.

Well, well, well... I followed your recommendation and it took me about
one minute to fix the problem.

:-)

I run debian, and now I have to find out what the files in the two
directories under /etc/fonts are for. At a glance they appear to be
extensions of the fonts.conf file and I should likely look in the debian
documentation for more information.

When I think of the time I spent looking at fonts.conf for something
that might be clashing with my aliases..

I should have remembered that debian love splitting config files into a
myriad of smaller units, and have a bunch of symlinks to make things a
little more difficult.  :-)

Thanks much for solving this!

CJ