[Fontconfig] 32bit vs 64bit cache files

Per Olesen pol at trifork.com
Tue Nov 9 00:18:07 PST 2010

Hi,

I have a quick question on /var/cache/fontconfig cache files for 32bit and 64bit architectures.

I am running wine on a 64bit SLES10 SP3 with both fontconfig and fontconfig32 libs installed. If I rebuild the (64bit?) cache doing "fc-cache --force", wine will be painfully slow to start. It looks like it takes ages to read font files. My guess is, that it can't handle the 64bit cache files. If I then do a "fc-cache32" run, wine starts quickly again.

Can the 64bit and 32bit cache files live alongside eachother? When forcing a 64bit cache rebuild, it effectively halves the file sizes. Doing a 32bit rebuild enlarges the cache files again.

These are the specific versions of fontconfig I have installed:

fontconfig-devel-2.3.94-18.23.16
fontconfig-devel-32bit-2.3.94-18.23.16
fontconfig-2.3.94-18.23.16
fontconfig-32bit-2.3.94-18.23.16