[Fontconfig] fontconfig configuration for font fallback

Derek Leach DLeach at qnx.com
Wed Sep 1 07:54:41 PDT 2010

Many thanks to Behdad and mpsuzuki, I have my character fallbacks
"working" now! :-)

Now I have added this (below) to my fonts.conf

<match>

  <test name="lang">

    <string>utf-8</string>

    <string>euc-jp</string>

    <string>jp</string>

  </test>

  <test qual="all" name="family" target="default">

    <string>sans-serif</string>

    <string>serif</string>

    <string>monospace</string>

    <string>PrimaSans BT</string>

    <string>PrimaSansMono BT</string>

    <string>Courier10 BT</string>

    <string>Swis721 BT</string>

    <string>Dutch801 Rm BT</string>

    <string>arial</string>

  </test>

  <edit name="family" mode="append">

    <string>HonMincho BT</string>

  </edit>

  <edit name="family" mode="append">

    <string>SquareGothicMd BT</string>

  </edit>

</match>

The system always returns MSungGB-C_LTUnivers88 (contains the uniChar),
instead of HonMincho BT or SquareGothicMd BT (contains uniChar, but want
these to be the preferred).

Do I have anything wrong with the above syntax, or is my code wrong (see
attached)?  In the code that I tried 'forcing' the family to Arial to
try and get it to match the configuration, just for testing purposes.
Do I need to set the 'lang' as well?

I basically want to be able to override the fallback fonts for a
specific family ... if the uniChar is in those fonts, otherwise the
standard fallback procedure should then happen.

Kind Regards + Many Thanks,

-Derek