[Fontconfig] Clarifying man 5 fonts.conf on hintstyle directive

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Sep 21 10:33:34 PDT 2010

On 06/07/10 10:47, Andres P wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The man page clearly states that hintstyle is for autohint, or at
> least I get that impression from reading it:
>     hintstyle       Int     *Automatic* hinting style
>
> I've seen people say that it influences the hinting bool instead of
> the autohint one.
>
> May I kindly ask which one is it?

It affects the autohinter.  Now to get any hinting, you need hinting to be
enalbed.  When hinting is enabled, FreeType may use autohinter or the native
hinter.  If autohint is set to true, use of autohinter is forced.  At any
rate, whenever autohinter is used, the hintstyle value affects how it works.

behdad