[Fontconfig] fc-cache succeeds, but fc-list still gives empty result on Wine

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Sep 19 18:37:04 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-19 20:30-0400 Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> On 09/19/11 19:57, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>>         <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>
>
> So, technically fontconfig is supposed to look in the windows font dir for
> fonts.  And apparently it does, but by default Wine has no fonts there.  See
> the first few paragraphs here:
>
>  http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Fonts
>
> One way to fix this would be to include /usr/share/fonts even on Windows.
> It's harmless, right?

Probably, but I just don't have the Wine experience (and no Windows
experience at all) to give you a definitive response about what the
best fix should be.  One important issue is the above wiki seems quite
dated in spots so I don't know how much you should trust it. Also, you
don't want to have fontconfig do something brute force for Wine when
there might be a much better way to get the job done.

Note under Wine you can look at the registry since it is in human
readable form (as .wine/system.reg).  By removing all of .wine and
starting fresh with winecfg (which recreates that registry file and
which knows nothing about GTK+ at that stage) I discovered all my
_Linux_ /usr/share/fonts/truetype fonts mentioned there before any
attempts to run fc-cache.  This is for wine-1.3.26 which I built
myself on Linux.  So obviously Wine knows where to find Linux TrueType
fonts for that case, but somehow that information is not being used by
font-config until you also tell it via the patch to font.conf where to
find them as well.

I think you need a Wine expert to give you advice on the best fix, but
the patch is a useful workaround until that happens.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin