[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'master'

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 07:19:19 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 01:55:21AM EDT, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:39:32 -0700, Sairus Patel <sppatel at adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of deprecating old formats, CTS also put a stake in the
> > ground and supports only OpenType fonts (no legacy Type 1 fonts or
> > bitmapped fonts). Again, I've heard absolutely no complaints about
> > this.
>
> I've had a plan to convert the bitmap X fonts to otf format, which would
> eliminate PCF/BDF code from the X server...

Forgive the naive question.

Regarding fixed fonts, would conversion be possible without loss of quality?

I am thinking of GNU/Unifont (used by grub's menu for instance), which
is available both in PCF & TTF form. As it hapens, the TTF version as
rendered on an xterm is practically illegible.

CJ

--
Alex Perez is aliveeeeeeee!!!