[Fontconfig] Problem with webcore symbol fonts in 2.8+

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Tue Aug 28 20:41:29 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Kieran <kieran.mccusker at kwest.info> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right list but I'm using fc17 and have installed
> the Microsoft webcore fonts (using yum install
> webcore-fonts-3.0-1.noarch.rpm)
>
> the standard fonts are fine but the symbol fonts don't show any charset
> (and don't display any characters).

That result came from the Apple Roman cmap support in fontconfig and
removed since 2.9.0 because it caused a trouble. basically there are
nothing relationship to languages in symbol fonts and there are no way
to know what characters they have in Unicode unless they are Unicode
font or following any standard. so no charset in the result.

This is expected behavior in a symbol font.

--
Akira TAGOH