[Fontconfig] libiconv detection seems convoluted

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Thu Dec 27 04:48:09 PST 2012

Daniel Macks wrote:
> On OS X, iconv.h is in a default search path (no need for -I flags);
> but is not part of the system library itself,so -liconv is needed
> (but again is in default search path so no need for -L flags). There
> are a bunch of special-purpose --with-libiconv* flags, but there
> doesn't seem to be an easy way to handle my situation. If I
> understand the if/elif spaghetti, I need to declare an explicit
> libiconv prefix or includes directory in order for libiconv_cflags to
> be set, which is the only way to trigger libiconv_libs getting set.

You're right, but to be honest it's not that much of a hassle to specify
the '--enable-iconv --with-libiconv=/usr' arguments to ./configure.

I thought iconv usage in fontconfig was on a deprecation path anyway
(it's disabled by default), so why ship even a new .m4 file with it...

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>