[Fontconfig] Heads up: Droid fonts update in Rawhide

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Thu Jul 26 01:57:41 PDT 2012

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Jeu 26 juillet 2012 09:32, Akira TAGOH a écrit :
>
>> Well, I see what Nicolas wants to do here. since Japanese characters
>> on Unicode's CJK Unified Ideographs is a subset of Chinese characters,
>> I think he wanted to avoid picking Droid Sans Japanese up for Chinese
>> anyway.

But it wouldn't be picked, even without 'lang' rules, at least it isn't
on my machine. Even if I use target="scan" to assign a single family
name to all Droid fonts, the 'lang' of DroidSansJapanese.ttf will still
only be 'ja', and won't be taken into account when enumerating or
matching fonts for a different locale:

sun2:~)fc-list ':lang=ja' file family | grep DroidSansJapanese
/export/pub/fonts/Droid/DroidSansJapanese.ttf: Droid Serif,Droid Sans

sun2:~)fc-list ':lang=zh' file family | grep DroidSansJapanese

> Ideally, I'd like the target="scan" lang-specific rules to generate a form
> of simulated locl table. I know the current rules I use don't do that, but
> I guess they are a sort of RFE on my part :)
>
> I think Droid is a good showcase of the dead-end
> selecting-lang-by-font-name is : if we don't hide the various
> lang-specific droid names to the user, it only takes two or three
> droid-like families to make font selection totally unusable in most apps.

That's what I wonder. Imagine someone created a document in a word
processor on Android, or maybe on Windows. Would they be able to
directly choose 'Droid Sans Japanese' etc. out of their selector? If
not, then you're right and it makes sense to hide the name. If yes, then
fontconfig should enumerate the original full name, and maybe provide
the usual 2-way fallback from/to 'Droid Sans'.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 Germany +49-179-2981632 icq 16845346