[Fontconfig] Request for implementing font substitution for CJK fonts

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Sun Jun 10 19:11:54 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Raimund Steger <rs at mytum.de> wrote:
> BlissSam wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> Mapping specific to generic, and map generic to specific,
>

> You summarized a correct way of doing this in a few words -- isn't that
> simple enough? Definitely something for distribution maintainers to tackle.

Right. in most cases, so complicated rules isn't needed for the
personal preferences. see what fonts-tweak-tool (and libeasyfc) do. it
generates the xml file that is simple enough. it should works enough
for that purpose.

> As for providing a configuration tool -- the problem I see is: If it
> supports all of the DTD, it won't be substantially less complex than editing
> the XML file by hand. If it however uses a simplified syntax, e. g. only
> using family equivalence classes or something -- it'll be one-way, i. e. not
> fully compatible with existing XML, and what's more, users might still get
> unexpected results that they cannot explain if some other rule outmatches
> one of their families.

Right. I'm thinking of it for packagers mainly to provide the sort of
templates. I don't think there are perfect solution. if they want to
do complicated things, they should read documents and understand how
to use it.

> (Another option could still be a plain old FAQ to make people easier with
> the XML or maybe... er... a Wiki.)

If it helps, yeah, I think it's a good idea.

--
Akira TAGOH