[Fontconfig] FontConfig font selection problem

Eagle Burkut eagle.burkut at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 21:31:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Akira TAGOH <akira at tagoh.org> wrote:

> Please be aware that no one can tell you the better answer without the
> details. this is a rough answer for the rough question. if you aren't
> comfortable with it, please give us what you did, what happened and
> what you were expected. otherwise there are no way to see what's wrong
> in fontconfig.
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Eagle Burkut <eagle.burkut at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So I am here to ask your help. I have couple of questions:
> >
> > (1) Why does the fontconfig select the font poorly here, even selecting a
> > font which does not support the required code points and or glyphs?
>
> The possible reason is, 1) there are no better fonts against the
> query. which covers the code points in ug.orth. 2) the font pattern in
> the query is wrong. 3) ug.orth has a bug.

1) Yes, there is already a better font available.
2) Probably
3) ug.orth has no bug. we have recently fixed it.

> > (2) Is the any way to tell/force fontconfig to use a font for the given
> > language environment / writing system / scripts?
>
> You can put the following config to $HOME/.fonts.conf:

The problem starts immediately when you boot your PC with CD to install the
system. The installation screen itself is very buggy. I think it is because
of the bugs in the fontconfig itself.

Before you finish installing the system, there is no way to put these files
into those folder (which does not exist at the time you are installing the
system from the CD).