[Fontconfig] fontconfig: Branch 'master'

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Mar 15 15:03:47 PDT 2012

On 03/10/2012 06:39 PM, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> All of the fixes for Makefile.am is to be able to build with BSD make.
> I should draw the details in the log more.

Did you investigate why $(RM) wasn't working?  Being portable is exactly why
autotools defines $(RM).  Not using it is asking for trouble.  More comments
below:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
>>>         && mv -f $@.tmp $@ \
>>> -       || ($(RM) $@.tmp; \
>>> +       || (rm -f $@.tmp; \

So what was $(RM) defined to on the failing platform?

>>>  ${man_MANS}: ${SGML}
>>> -     $(DOC2MAN) ${SGML}
>>> -     $(RM) manpage.*
>>> +     - at rm $@
>>> +     $(AM_V_GEN) $(DOC2MAN) ${SGML}
>>> +     @rm -f manpage.*

Any place like this, if you use "rm" and not "rm -f", that's a bug, because if
the target file doesn't exist, rm will fail.  There's a few of those in this
change.

behdad