[Fontconfig] Lucida Sans/Grande/Unicode matching confusion

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Tue May 1 02:07:36 PDT 2012

S Page wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 04:45, Raimund Steger<rs at mytum.de>  wrote:
>> If all you want is an alias for "Lucida Sans", the following in
>> ~/.fonts.conf should work:
>
> Thanks! I mention both Lucida Sans and Lucida Grande in one alias and
> it seems to work:
>   <alias>
>    <family>Lucida Sans</family>
>    <family>Lucida Grande</family>
>    <accept>
>     <family>Lucida Sans Unicode</family>
>    </accept>
>   </alias>

Hm, normally only one <family> is supported in the left hand side of an
alias rule I think. See fontconfig-user.html or:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.fontconfig/3741

>> However: The spelling "Lucida Sans" is used by TTF fonts bundled with
>> certain Sun software (Solaris, JDK), so maybe you already have them, and
>> adding something like
>>
>>   <dir>/usr/java/jre/lib/fonts</dir>  ...
>
> There don't appear to be any fonts in my "IcedTea6" OpenJDK.

I see, but if you should someday be in the need of further improving
your legal situation (over using a borrowed copy of Lucida Sans
Unicode), installing an Oracle JDK could be an idea.

Raimund