[Fontconfig] Request for implementing font substitution for CJK fonts

BlissSam m13253 at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 07:41:10 PDT 2012

I agree with SOME of your ideas.

But, what I want to say first is, what is font fallback.
For example (Helvetica is always a good example), if Helvetica is missing, will you choose DejaVu Sans or Tahoma to replace it? The answer is surely no. Because they are in different styles. You will certainly use Arial to substitute it, because they are compatible--which means, they almost look the same (even not all the same, compare the letter R and G).
If you have used a word-processing software, you will find that, if you specify a non-exist font, it will say `blah blah font is not installed, a similar font is used instead.' So what is a `similar font'? It means a compatible one, not one has only the same sans/serif attribute.
Therefore, font fallback is NOT simply to choose a sans-serif to replace a sans-serif, or a serif to replace a serif; it is to choose another font compatible with it.

So let's talk about CJK fonts. If SimSun is missing, will SimKai replace it? No, though they are all serif font, they look totally different.

What fontconfig's fallback feature should do is:
- Keep a list of what fonts are compatible
- When a font is missing, firstly search for that list to choose a compatible font
- If that font is not on the list, choose another font has the same sans/serif attribute
- If no info can be found from that font (e.g. it is not in TTF/OTF format so that you can have nothing got from it), simply choose the user's favorite font which is specified in his/hers ~/.fonts.conf or somewhere else. This is the worst plan.

A list should be maintained, I know. But it is really the work of fontconfig, not the distro. Does a distro keep a list of compatible fonts?