[Fontconfig] Pango support for `size' OpenType feature?

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Tue Sep 11 18:52:59 PDT 2012

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>> Yes, but for example fc-list (version 2.8.0) gives the following for
>>> lmroman12-regular.otf:
>>>
>>>    Latin Modern Roman,LM Roman 12:style=12 Regular,Regular
>>>
>>> Both `Latin Modern Roman' and `LM Roman 12' should work IMHO as the
>>> input for the `size' feature.
>>
>> That would be extremely confusing.
>
> I don't think so.
>
>> Imagine in a design app, if you specifically choose the 12 variant,
>> you really don't want another one to be used.
>
> On the contrary, I think it would be confusing if it depends on the
> font name the user selects whether the `size' feature gets applied or
> not.

The 'LM Roman 12' you're referring to in your fc-list output is just an
alternative family name for this particular file and is not technically
related to the design size property of that font, and I think using it
in a pattern should only treat it as that and not try to guess some
other property values out of it (or substitute it with the Preferred
Name, for that matter).

NB. it's the second value in the 'family' property, hence most pickers
won't show it anyway.

> The user should switch off this font's `size' feature if it is not
> desired.

Users will always be able to switch the property off (once it's
implemented) by means of fontconfig rules.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>