[Fontconfig] Prgname and font-features?

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Thu Jan 10 19:19:48 PST 2013

Hi Behdad,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just pushed a change to Pango that allows one to enable OpenType font
> features through fontconfig configs.  For example:
>
> <match target="font">
>   <edit name="pangofontfeatures" mode="append">
>     <string>smcp</string>
>     <string>ss20</string>
>   </edit>
> </match>
>
> But I figured this is probably of interest to more than just Pango.  Shall
> we
> upstream this?

Thanks. yes. I was working on it and have a somewhat incomplete patch to
Pango too, including pango markup support. it a bit got stuck because there
are two issues I should address and didn't have a time to do:

 1) whether or not we should validate the given feature tag in config. it
may be relevant to what you questioned at GNOME bug in other mail. on other
hand, do we want to make another deps in fontconfig, i.e. harfbuzz for this
purpose? otherwise what we can do for this is to add the object type for
this and I've already done that in my repo:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tagoh/fontconfig/commit/?h=bz50497

 2) This isn't really a fontconfig side but needed further work to allow to
have multiple PangoAttribute at same time. if it's useful, I can send a
patch to you. anyway, just to share my efforts, I have screenshots for that
see attached. one is a comparison for jp04 vs jp90 feature tag. another one
is partly applying the trad feature tag.

 Another element type I have in Pango that may be worth upstreaming is

"pangoprgname", which pango sets to the output of g_get_prgname().  If you
> are
> running gedit, it expands to gedit.  It's useful for doing per-app
> configuration.  Any interest in upstreaming that?

Yeah, when that discussion was brought up here, I thought it would be
useful if we can have similar thing in fontconfig. so users can manage the
app-specific rules in config without modifying any code in apps.