[Fontconfig] Fwd: [ft-announce] FreeType now supports color emojis

Raimund Steger rs at mytum.de
Sun Jul 14 18:17:30 PDT 2013

On Fri, July 5, 2013 23:13, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Anyone?
>
> On 13-05-29 12:40 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>
>> You may remember that I was making sure bitmap scaling works in
>> fontconfig+cairo.  Now to the color part and how it affects fontconfig:
>>
>>   1. Like all rendering options, we need a new element for it, and we
>> should
>> probably match on it too,

Probably. Well actually I can think of only one situation where it makes
sense to use the property in the matcher: The user intends to use Unicode
characters (where a limited set of emoji has been standardized as far as I
understand) and wants to give a hint that the result should be optimized
for a monochrome printout.
Although in such a case, they would probably even prefer scalable fonts --
some of them *should* really have Unicode emoji --, in which case the
existing property 'antialias' would do a similar job; at least as long as
there's no support for scalable color fonts.

In the case of non-Unicode symbol fonts, I expect that users will almost
certainly select the fonts by their names and then the property has no
useful meaning for the matcher.

>>   3. If user requests FC_COLOR=false and a font with FC_COLOR=true is
>> chosen,

These should be some real corner cases. The danger that a user who wants
the usual b/w rendering is *accidentally* presented with a color glyph
should be near zero as long as fontconfig doesn't use color fonts as
fallback in its default configuration. This leaves the scenario that they
like the shape of certain glyphs in certain color fonts but want to use
them without the color even if they're targetting a computer screen, then
yes, there might be a use case for copying the property into the font. But
we might as well leave it for them to configure...

Raimund

Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs at mytum.de>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs at interface-ag.de>