[Fontconfig] too rigid ja.orth?

Akihiro TSUKADA tskd2 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Apr 13 00:06:03 PDT 2014

Hi.
I have recently noticed that some (relatively new) Japanese fonts
do NOT contain "ja" in "lang" property, and it is due to ja.orth
which covers most of JISX0208, some of which those fonts lack.
Examples of those fonts include "M+" (and its derivatives, "Koruri"),
"Sawarabi Gothic", and "Sazanami".
As you might know, JISX0208 (6879 chars) includes lots of un-common /
obsolete
characters and slight variations of common characters used just in human
names,
so the Japanese government issued (revised) a public notice in 2010
on the list of commonly used chinese characters, "Joyo Kanji List" (2136
kanji).

It is basically a subset of JISX0213 and used in official documents,
education.
The press also uses it with just some characters modifications,
thus it covers most frequently used codepoints.
The aforementioned fonts cover the list as well
(with at most 2 characters exception).

So I'd like to propose to re-base ja.orth on Joyo Kanji list,
to accept more Japanese fonts.
attached is a patch to ja.orth.

regards,
akihiro