[Fontconfig] Matching font by unicode coverage

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Jan 19 15:59:31 PST 2015

Thanks David,

Comments below.

On 15-01-19 12:36 PM, David Lattimore wrote:
> Matching with an FC_CHARSET works for me. No idea if what I'm doing is right,
> but roughly what I do is:
> - Identify script for each character
> (using http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Scripts.txt)
> - Split runs based on script (so that no run has two different scripts)
> - Build an FC_CHARSET for the run.
> - Match and use the resulting font.

While this works, it will be extremely slow, and results in ransom-note
effects whereas eg adding a diacritic mark to a run will change the font for
the entire run.

What most clients of Fontconfig do instead is to call FcFontSort() for all
desired properties but NOT FC_CHARSET, and then walk down the returned list of
font and pick the first font that supports each desired character.

Does that make sense?

behdad

behdad
http://behdad.org/