[Fontconfig] Variable fonts redux

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Sep 28 18:51:56 UTC 2017

Thanks Lawrence.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <
ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:58:41 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> >   - Expose slant & italic standard axes as well, but Fontconfig
> > shoves FC_SLANT_ITALIC and FC_SLANT_OBLIQUE in the same element,
> > with these values:
> >
> > #define FC_SLANT_ROMAN              0
> > #define FC_SLANT_ITALIC             100
> > #define FC_SLANT_OBLIQUE            110
> >
> > The varfonts axis for italic has a 0..1 range, 1 meaning italic.
> > And the slant axis uses slant angle.  We can:
> >
> >   - Deprecate FC_SLANT element and add two new ones, eg FC_ITALIC
> > and FC_SLANT_ANGLE.  I don't like this particularly,
> >
> >   - Repurpose FC_SLANT for *italic*, since the 0..1 range maps
> > nicely to FC_SLANT_ITALIC=100, and add FC_SLANT_ANGLE for the
> > slant.  I don't particularly like to confusing names here either.
> > So I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Do you want alternative noun forms? How about “italicity” and
> “obliquity”? Or even “lean”?
>
> There’s also the technical terms for the linear transformation:
> “skew” or “shear”.

I didn't tackle that aspect yet.  "skew" or "shear" won't work, as the axis
value is written as oblique angle in degrees.  I would have liked it to be
shear as well.

I think we should add FC_ITALIC and FC_SLANT_ANGLE and populate them.  That
part I can do now; that's easy.  Modifications to 90-synthetic.conf is
going to be a lot more complicated.  Likewise, re FcDefaultSubstitute()
changes.