[fprint] Re vfs5011 support

Andrej Kruták dev at andree.sk
Mon Feb 13 02:13:01 PST 2012

Hi,

I am (well, not at the moment, but..) working on driver for vfs301, it is
more or less operational - check out https://github.com/andree182/vfs301 .

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Pierre Mauduit <pierre.mauduit at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been provided by my company a dell vostro 3350 laptop last week,
> and I had to reformat the hard disk in order to install ubuntu. I lost
> the drivers and the windows app, thus I'm unable to snoop the usb
> traffic. The device is the following (relying on lsusb output) :
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 138a:0011 DigitalPersona, Inc
>
> It seems that someone here already posted some usb snooping sessions, I
> wrote a python snippet which tries to mimic the urb sent to the device,
> but I'm a bit stuck with reverse engineering for now (the device on the
> capture files does not seem to be "plugged" at the same place as on my
> laptop - hypothetically bus 3 device 4 in the provided logs, bus 2
> device 3 on mine).
>
> - Is there a special windows app to install in order to be able to snoop
> the usb traffic ? I successfully installed the driver into a win seven
> virtualbox, but I could not manage to find a suitable software to use it
> concretely.

For me "Usblyzer" was quite useful plus there were no problems with
unsigned drivers in w7 x64.

> - Is there anybody here currently working on the same device ? I tried
> to hack around the vfs101 driver with no luck, the initialization
> process does not look the same, and adding the vendorId / productId into
> the sources does not do the trick unfortunately. I got the following
> output, trying to use the enroll example:
>
> Scan your finger now.
> vfs101:error [async_recv_cb] seqnum mismatch, got 0401, expected 0000
> async:error [fpi_drvcb_enroll_stage_completed] BUG at async.c:161
> sync:error [fp_enroll_finger_img] unrecognised return code -5
> Enroll failed with error -22
>
> - Additionally, do you have some hints in order to get started with the
> current fprint code ?

The preliminary version of vfs301 driver - the glue between the driver and
libfprint - is as small as I could make it, so you could get some
inspiration there. But no guarantees - I did not even post it to be merged
into mainline yet...

Greetings,

--
Andrej