[fprint] Experiences with libfprint in multi user environments

Martin Hejnfelt martin at duffman.dk
Sat Apr 5 23:13:08 PDT 2014

Hi Mariusz,

I am writing my own program using libfprint and enroll/identification works with the touchstrip sensor I've been using, however I feel I have too many false negatives, and that will upset the users, which is why I want to know if anyone had experience with more expensive devices like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. The touchstrip sensor seems to be best in 1:1 scenarios and I need something that is good for 1:n.

Kind regards,
Martin Hejnfelt

> identification of up to 50 users

Hello Martin

Please let us know how it will work. You wrote you need identification, so verification (ready to use fprintd-enroll and then fprintd-verify) will not help you / will not enoug for you.

I'm also searching for sollution where only fingerprint is needed (no keyboard needed, no user name berofe scanning is needed. I think it could be called pfrintd-identify.

Please let me know if you will have some results.

Best regards
Mariusz Ciszewski

Hi,

I am currently working on a unit where I need fingerprint identification
of up to 50 users. The system is going to run on Linux (right now with a
Raspberry Pi as host) which is why I use libfprint. Installing/compiling
newest libfprint (from the git repo) has been done.

I have good experience with the UPEK touchstrip sensors, however in
multiuser environments I have the feeling that, first of all the number
of false negatives are a bit high, probably mostly due to how small the
sensor is, thus increasing the risk for people to make an "erroneous"
swipe. I feel that for an application to use fingerprint, for people to
not get "pissed" at the system, it must be rather stable.

Therefore I am calling for some experience regarding the different
readers supported by libfprint regarding to stability and ease of use
(for the user), before I just start randomly buying readers :)
My best guesses right now are the URU4500 and EikonTouch 300 (are the
500/510's supported?) since they use "touch" type which I guess would be
easier for the user, and give more minutiae easier, but this is more a
guess, since I only have experience with the touchstrip versions.

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards,
Martin Hejnfelt