FriBidiEnv (was: Re: [FriBidi] fribidi and shaping arabic characters)

Omer Zak omerz at actcom.co.il
Fri Jan 27 20:57:25 PST 2006

FriBidiEnv (as argument) was introduced to support usage of FriBidi in
operating systems, which do not support static memory (the operating
systems in question were GEOS - used in Nokia 9110 cellular phone/FAX;
and Symbian OS, used in several cellular smartphones by Nokia,
Sony-Ericsson and others).

In operating systems, which support static memory (such as Linux), the
FriBidi library sets aside memory for one instance of FriBidiEnv, and it
is accessed when the argument is set to NULL.

In addition, multithreaded applications need to have a separate
FriBidiEnv instance for each thread, which needs to use the FriBidi
library.

Due to the need for support for multithreaded applications, I recommend
to explain to the Debian maintainers about this issue.
                                                     --- Omer

--
Eli Marmor's Law:  netiquette forbids people from replying "I agree with