[FriBidi] Incorrect Arabic text rendering in maperver

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Jan 23 15:59:08 PST 2011

On 1/19/2011 10:01 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 01/18/11 01:09, Ian Walberg wrote:
>> Behdad,
>>
>> I have taken a look at the code and from what I can see the relavant part of the code is below.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Can I make a test modification to this to test the cause of the problem?
>
> Sure you can :).
>
> behdad
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ian

Hi Behdad,

Does this look like the same problem?

http://imaptools.com:8080/dl/fribidi-problem.png

Notice the square box after the a-Diaeresis

Also does FRIBIDI_CHAR_FILL get converted to a single utf8 character?
What is its value?

I can try to create a patch to mapserver that would filter these out of
the visual string before we pass it to freetype to render it.

Ian, did you have any luck with your tests?

-Steve