[Ftp-release] Announce: telepathy-spec 0.20.0

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 10:44:04 PDT 2010

This is a new stable version of telepathy-spec, intended to serve as a
reference point for future work. There were no API changes since development
release 0.19.13; changes from the year of development since 0.18.0 are
summarized below.

The versions of libraries, connection managers and Mission Control recommended
for use with GNOME 2.32 (the upcoming telepathy-glib 0.12, telepathy-gabble 0.10
and Mission Control 5.6 stable branches) can be expected to support most of
the API from this spec release.

telepathy-spec is the document defining the Telepathy real-time communication
framework's D-Bus API, from which all our other projects are derived.

The current development version of telepathy-spec is available as HTML:
  <http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/>
or from the 'master' branch in the git repository:
  <git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/telepathy-spec.git>
  <git+ssh://git.collabora.co.uk/git/telepathy-spec.git> (for committers)
  <http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-spec.git> (gitweb)

For packagers (e.g. http://packages.debian.org/telepathy-spec):
tar: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-spec/telepathy-spec-0.20.0.tar.gz
sig: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-spec/telepathy-spec-0.20.0.tar.gz.asc

Semantic changes
----------------

• The timestamps used for "user action time", intended for focus-stealing
  prevention, are no longer interpreted as seconds since 1970. Instead, they
  should be interpreted as X-server time on X GUI platforms,
  with two special values (0 and the maximum 64-bit signed integer) having
  their own semantics.

Enhancements to core API
------------------------

• Connection now has Status, Interfaces properties
• ConnectionManager now has Protocol objects with more information about
  protocols (at the time of release, this is supported in telepathy-gabble
  0.9.x but not in most other connection managers)
• Account.ChangingPresence indicates when changes are being attempted
• Account.Service indicates a specific service such as "google-talk"
• Account has extensible details of the last connection error
• Observers can have a Recover flag, which provides best-effort crash recovery
• ChannelDispatchOperation.HandleWithTime can pass through a timestamp for
  focus-stealing prevention
• various new error codes

New optional interfaces
-----------------------

• Account.I.Storage indicates which backend an account is stored in
• Conn.I.Anonymity, Chan.I.Anonymity — controlling caller-ID and similar
  features
• Conn.I.Balance — machine-readable account balance, e.g. SkypeOut credit
• Conn.I.Cellular — extra information about cellular connections
• Conn.I.ContactInfo — information that contacts provide about themselves,
  in a vCard-like format
• Conn.I.ServicePoint, Chan.I.ServicePoint — emergency contact points
• Chan.T.ServerTLSConnection — interactive approval of any problematic
  TLS/SSL certificates
• Chan.T.ContactSearch — searching for contacts by name, address etc.
• Chan.I.Conference — multi-user text or media conferences
  which can be made by merging or upgrading 1-1 channels
• Chan.I.SMS — SMS-specific extensions to Text channels (currently only
  one property, indicating class 0 "flash" SMSs)

Enhancements to optional interfaces

• chat states are state-recoverable
• a new flag indicates whether Location can be set

Changes since 0.19.13

• improve wording of experimental Conn.I.ClientTypes and Conn.I.PowerSaving
  interfaces (danni, wjt)