[Games] Status update

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Fri Nov 28 01:24:23 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 06:59:30PM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:

> Next up are basic infrastructure decissions. I suspect we could
> benefit from a wiki of some sort. While the Debian wiki[4] is being
> used by Debian & Ubuntu (and I think Fedora, to some extent),
> we should probably go for a generic wiki with information. Does
> anyone have any preference as to a hosting provider?
>
> Also, while historically we have been using svn a lot, and know
> how it works, the distributed nature of this and the fact that we will
> need to pull from a lot of places means that we will most likely
> give git a chance. It's in use for some Debian games, so
> experience does exist.
> This has the additional advantage that we could just ditch the
> first repo or ten after we know what structures make sense.
> We will experiement and we will end up in situations where
> starting over is better. On the plus side, all patches will survive
> and that is the main thing.
>
> Do we need a bug tracker? Or will the ML and wiki suffice?

As I explain below I'm not an experienced programmer, just a sysadmin
playing around. Till now I've used only old plain cvs. So to me anyone
of svn, git & griends will be the same, I don't know them. The idea of a
wiki connected to the repo looks like a very good one.

I don't think we really need a bugtracker.

> I would ask everyone to write a short blurb about themselves.
> Name, distribution[s], packages you are working on, etc. Be
> as verbose or short as you like :)

As stated I'm a sysadmin playing around, not an experienced programmer.

I'm a FreeBSD user and admin(desktop, at home and work, and servers), I
maintain some ports for FreeBSD of which 3 are games. I created 2 of
these, one I took a short while ago.

Just to be a little more verbose, being an admin I have good expertise
with shell scripts and the like(sh+awk+sed & friends, perl, php), I can
hold my own with C, but have little confidence with C++(which has become
a problem with netpanzer, but I still have to investigate the thing.
I'll take advantage of this list and ask questions about this shortly).

> Also, and this is important, if any of you wants to package
> any new game, _please_ announce this on the list! Someone
> might have done your work for you, already. Or you can work
> on stuff together.

Work(and also the skying season is opening shortly in my country
:) ) is keeping me somwhat busy, so I don't have any new games
projects handy, anyway I'll be happy to help if there is some need.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>