[Games] Status update

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar at 2008.43-1.org
Fri Nov 28 14:19:08 PST 2008

Hi,

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 19:33, Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> git would definitely help with this approach: one feature per branch
>
> One feature per branch? Branches are cheap, but does this really
> make sense? On the other hand, people would be able to
> cherry-pick individual features by a simple local merge, then.
> And everyone else could use the patches-all (or whatever we call
> it) branch. It probably pays to just do it that way and see if we run
> into any troubles.

I have not really used feature branches yet, but should make it easier
for upstreams to pick features.  This is something we should really hope
for.

What about `topgit'?  I did not yet have time to look at it, but it
looks like it might be really helpful for our cause:

    TopGit aims to make handling of large amount of interdependent topic
    branches easier. In fact, it is designed especially for the case
    when you maintain a queue of third-party patches on top of another
    (perhaps Git-controlled) project and want to easily organize,
    maintain and submit them - TopGit achieves that by keeping a
    separate topic branch for each patch and providing few tools to
    maintain the branches.

It also provides means to provide the branches as a patch series if you
want to keep using the pristine upstream source.  I think some people
are already using it to maintain packages in Debian.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19