Zaz in Debian

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Sun Aug 23 21:01:39 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:46 AM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam at debian.org> wrote:

> I've packaged Zaz [1] for Debian [2], and it's currently waiting in
> the NEW queue [3]. It is a really cute game, and I'm quickly becoming
> addict to it myself. I wonder if it was possible to add support for
> internationalization to it. I can help you with gettext stuff if you
> want, but, as FTGL does not support Unicode, it would be necessary to
> probably use QuesoGLC [4] instead. Please, tell me what you think
> about it.

Ah, FTGL supports Unicode just fine. It does not however support
searching for the right font for the characters in your string or
falling back to a second font in the case where some characters in the
string are not found in the current font. An example of a fairly
simple game using GLC (QuesoGLC is an implementation of the GLC API)
is chromium-bsu, here is the GLC-based text rendering class:

http://chromium-bsu.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=chromium-bsu/chromium-bsu;a=blob;f=src/TextGLC.cpp;hb=HEAD

And the equivalent in FTGL:

http://chromium-bsu.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=chromium-bsu/chromium-bsu;a=blob;f=src/TextFTGL.cpp;hb=HEAD

And the full initial patch to add GLC support:

http://chromium-bsu.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=chromium-bsu/chromium-bsu;a=commitdiff;h=6a5abfefb3d472c5ee4c4663b081cdc9543a0527

--
bye,
pabs