Games from Parallel Realities and non-free/illegal data

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 00:28:47 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Sorry, about the strange place in the thread this is meant as a reply to
Guus' mail to which Sylvain is replying, but somehow I don't have Guus' mail

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 05:40:33PM +0200, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> Due to the HappyPenguin thread, and I guess private emails from the person who
> discovered the non-free game assets, Stephen just wanted to give up so he
> wouldn't be bothered by it anymore. I think that is why he put up a blanket
> statement that all game data is non-free.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened. I believe the blanket statement is indeed
to indicate some parts of the data are non free. In the past I've explicitly
asked Stephen to send me a list of everything which is not created by him
and thus not GPL, and this is the reply I got:

###

Hi,

Sure, he's a list,

For Blob Wars,

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Blob And Conquer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Virus Killer

All Music
All Sound Effects

For Project: Starfighter
All Music
All Sound Effects
Character Portraits
Starfighter (and other spacecraft) images

Steve

###

The rest was created by him, so even if he has decided to no longer distributed
it under the GPL (which I do not believe), we are fine, as the GPL is not
revokable and in the past he did distribute it under the GPL (and as the author
had the right to do so), IANAL, but I don't see problem here, except for the
parts for which he did not have the right to distribute them under the GPL to
begin with.

Regards,

Hans